Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, April 1, 2013

God Påske!

Happy Easter!

For Easter in Norway we didn't really do anything special. We woke up (like normal), had breakfast together (bread with the normal fix-ins), and had dinner (Indian food). We didn't go to church or have an Easter egg hunt, like we do in the US. Me, my host sister, and host brother all got a giant Easter egg filled with goodies, Easter tea, and a tea cup with our initial on it from the Easter Bunny. But, we didn't get it on Easter, and we definitely didn't have to search around the house for it. We got the egg last Saturday, when the Easter Break started. My host mom told me that it is tradition to get the Easter goodies the Saturday night before Easter Sunday. But, she believed that we should have the entire Easter break to eat the candy, not just two days. I agree with her :)
What I found in my room when I arrived home on Saturday.

THE EGG

The egg with all the goodies! (Yes, those candies in the green bag are the Scandinavian version of peeps!)

Norway is not a very religious country, but they follow a lot of the religious or church rules.  Everything (besides a couple restaurants and museums) is closed between Thursday to Monday. Also, it is not called Spring Break, like in the US, they are allowed to call it Easter Break. It was a great time to relax and do nothing, because there really was nothing to do. I got to read my book and knit a scarf. It is tradition to read a mystery novel in the Easter Break. Don't ask me why or how it started, but on TV, on the radio, and in the newspaper they recommend the best criminal novels to read in the Easter Break and introduce new and upcoming authors who write crime books. Strange tradition, but fun to take part in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment