Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, April 5, 2013

Oslo!

I was in Oslo with Emma, the Canadian exchange student. It was during the Easter break. In Norway almost everything is closed from the Thursday before Easter until the Monday after. That is, everywhere except for Oslo. Now, in Oslo the majority of the clothing stores are closed, but all the museums are open and almost all the cafes and restaurants are open. I was told that is because many people come to Norway for a vacation on their Easter break, so there needs to at least be some things open in the capitol city.
So, we went down the 29th of March, or the Friday before Easter. We arrived at Oslo S at about 10:30 and from there we went to see the statue of the tiger and the opera house.
View from the Opera House

Me in front of the Opera House

The tiger. I tried to sit on its back, but it was taller than I expected....
 Then we walked down the main street, Karl Johans Gate. Almost nothing opened before 12:00, so we just went to Wayne's Coffee and had a coffee and a muffin before we started the real sight seeing.

After the coffee we decided to head to Vigelandsparken, which is the famous statue park in Oslo. It was a 20 minute-ish walk to the park. SO along the way we stopped at a grocery store and bought cookies, chocolate, and potato chips. Then we stopped at a 7-11 because they claimed to have authentic American donuts. So we had to try one, it was a donut, but it definitely not authentic American. I miss my American donuts...




The "American" donut
We got to the statue park and took pictures with the statues. When we were about half way through the park we stopped and ate our cookies, chips, and some chocolate. Then we sat and talk. And even got hit on by an American guy that was convinced we were Norwegian. When he found out we were American too, he and his friend just laughed and walked away as fast as they could.  :-)  Then we went through the rest of the park and took some more pictures.
Vigelandsparken








Me and the angry baby!!!


















Then we walked back to the city center. I saw one of the other exchange students on the way back. But she was in the bus so I didn't get to say hello. But, I did start jumping up and down and waving my arms when I figured out it was her. I even tried to run after the bus, but it didn't stop and I wasn't sure where it was going, and I got tired, so I gave up. Then we went buy the royal palace, that looks more like a big house than a palace.
The Royal Palace
After that we made our way to get some dinner. We went to the most American restaurant they have in Oslo, TGI Fridays. I haven't been to a Fridays in almost a year. But, food in restaurants is extremely expensive in Norway, so I just got the spinach dip and Emma just got french fries and a chocolate shake.
I missed you!

Then we walked around town a bit more. Then we went to a burger place and each got a chocolate milkshake. Then we walked to the train and took the 2 hour journey back. Very fun.
The worst part is, I managed to get sunburned. I believed that was nearly impossible in Norway, but I proved all facts wrong. FANTASTIC! Who knew I still needed SPF 70+ in the coldest country on Earth where the sun doesn't even shine for half the year?!

No comments:

Post a Comment