Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

OSLO! WHOOP WHOOP!!

Yes, I was once again in Oslo last weekend. I love going to Oslo, it usually means seeing other exchange students or my exchange sister from last year. This weekend I got to do both!
On Friday I left Sandefjord on the 13:38 train to go to Oslo. I am finished with school at 11:35 every Friday, so it worked out perfect. I first went to Oppegaard and met up with Alessandro (Italy). We hung out and ate dinner. Then, we took the train into Oslo to meet up with Cristina (Italy) and Amana (Brazil). After we met them, we went back to Cristina's house to attempt making donuts. I have missed donuts so much and Amana was missing them too, so we decided we could make them.
Once we got to the house we started right away, because we had to let the dough rise twice and then we  fry it. It was an American recipe we followed, and we didn't have cup or teaspoon measurements, so we kind of just winged it. And they all believed that you could just take a coffee cup and a tablespoon and those were accurate, they didn't realize (quite obviously because they're not from the US) that cups and tablespoons have accurate measurements. Also, the recipe called from shortening, and Norway does not sell shortening (I am sure of it, it is not another baking soda fiasco). So we used butter. As you can imagine, the donuts didn't really turn out very well. We also, were supposed to let it rise once for 45 minutes, then shape the donuts, then let it rise again for an hour. But we got really impatient after the 45 minutes and decided it wouldn't rise anymore anyway, so we just made the donuts. They actually turned out really, really bad. Cristina even got kind of sick from them. But it was an A+ for effort.
Alessandro and I then took the train back to his house to sleep.
Amana, Cristina, and I 

Me, Alessandro, and Amana






























On Saturday, Alessandro and I left for the city at 12:45ish because Iwas meeting my exchange sister, Jenny, at 13:15 and Alessandro was going into Oslo for the "Hug an AFS Exchange Student Day". I met Jenny at the train station and from there we took biked along the fjord and through the woods to go to a museum. The worst part was, when I first hopped on the bike, my pants split! It started oiut as just a little hole, but as the day went on the hole only got bigger. It was not good... I guess I really have been the typical exchange student and gained some weight........Anyway, once we got to Bygdøy we went to the Folk Museum where we saw old bunads and houses from ancient times. It was really cute! We then ate some lunch and had some waffles and talked. We took the ferry back from Bygdøy and met up with some of her friends at a cafe. From there we  went back to her apartment. We had dinner all together, then Jenny, on of her friends, and I planned to got to the movie Spring Breakers. But there was a big fiasco at the movie theaters and we ended up not going in. We had bought our tickets online, but the order didn't go through, then once we got there the entire movie was sold out, and it wasn't good. SO we just went back to Jenny's apartment and watched Hair. That movie is so strange...
Me at the Folk Museum

On the ferry back to town.

Me and Jenny!!!!! Reunited!
On Sunday, Jenny's mom woke us up with a nice cup of coffee, then we got dressed and had breakfast together. After breakfast Jenny had to leave to go to work. So Jenny's sister, Frida, her dad, Tord, and I went to the Viking Museum and The Kon Tiki Musuem. It was an "Open Day" a the museums in Oslo because the city wants residents to be a "tourist in your own city". So that worked out well, but Frida and I tried to take the bus to Bygdøy, and we couldn't because the buses were so full. So Tord drove us. After the museums, they showed me the beach that they would go to in the summer, or when it is warm enough to tan or swim. It was really cute, and there were already a lot of people there.
Frida and I in front of the Viking Ship

Me and the Viking Ship

Me and the Kon TIki raft


Me hiding int he Kon Tiki Museum


Me and my long lost love in the Kon Tiki Museum




































When we got back to the apartment, Jenny's mom had some friends over. So we all ate lunch together and we talked some. Then I had to take the train home at 14:44, so I said my goodbyes and Tord walked me down tot the station and I was on my way back to Sandefjord (where the bathroom was waiting to be cleaned by me...).

No comments:

Post a Comment