Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Not Long Until Norway!

It is only 10 days until I am in New York at my orientation camp with many other AFSers going to Europe. Then after that, it is on the 23rd when I leave on my flight to Norway, connecting in Iceland. I arrive in Norway on August 24th and head straight for the arrival orientation camp. Then 2 days later, on August 26th, I finally get to meet my host family! Then on the 27th, I start school.

I am super excited and can't wait to go. It is becoming so much more real. Two years ago when I started to become interested in studying abroad it sounded like such an abstract idea. I began talking with my principal and he told me I was the first person in 30 years to go study abroad. Then about a year ago when I started filling out my application I could only imagine what it would be like, to start a new life, to get thrown into a different country and become familiar with and live in and around a completely different culture. Then, at the end of March when I received my host family I was bouncing off the walls. I had finally found out who I would be spending a year of my life with. About a month ago it became a lot more real. I began actually thinking about what it would be like to leave everyone and everything I know. You get taken away from your family, your friends, and the culture you have grown up in. And now, it is less than two weeks away and I am extremely excited. I know it will be hard to leave everyone that I know and love for a year, but it will be a life-changing, once-in-a-lifetime, unforgettable experience that I am able to take part in.

Though it will be hard at times, I can't wait for my life to change!

No comments:

Post a Comment