Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hangin' with the Canadian

About a month ago I found out that there was a Canadian exchange student that came to SVGS, the school that I go to in Norway, in January. I was really excited because I was the only exchange student within about an hour radius. I met her at a cafe in town and we talked a lot about Norway and what is good and bad, and also a lot about how expensive everything is. I saw how normal everything had become for me after 7 months of living here, because she talked about some things that were weird that are now just part of everyday life for me.

Then, two weeks ago I went to Tønsberg with the Canadian girl (Emma) and another friend (Solveig). Tønsberg is about a 20 minute train ride from Sandefjord. There we walked in the mall and did some shopping. The mall is a lot bigger there than in Sandefjord. We also walked a little around town. We went to the grocery store and bought some chocolate and cookies, then went to a cafe and got hot chocolate to go then went in the McDonald's and my friends got fries and a hamburger (I don't eat fast food). Then we sat down and ate everything. It was great.
Our very classy lunch...
Then this past weekend I was with the Canadian exchange student again. Neither of us had school on Friday because the entire first grade had a entire day Norwegian test and we did not have to take it because we don't get grades in Norwegian. SO instead of going to school, I went over to her house and we made a home-style American lunch. We had homemade mashed potatoes, beans, and corn. I would have made fried chicken, but she is a vegetarian...

I ended up sleeping over at her house because we wanted to watch The Godfather, and that movie is insanely long. So we went to the store and bought a lot of chocolate, chips, and cookies and went back to her house and watched the The Godfather. Neither of us had seen it, and it is just one of those movies that you have to see because so many people use it as a movie reference. Then the next morning we woke up at about 12 and made waffles for breakfast (a typical American weekend breakfast). Well, we ate at about 1 and were done by 3, so it was more of a lunch than a breakfast, actually. Then we tried on pig costumes, bunny costumes, and a drag queen costume. Don't judge, Emma's host mom is a costume designer and they were old costumes, and it was a lot of fun. Then we watched another movie, a comedy this time, and then I went home.

Yesterday, Emma, Solveig, and I went to Stavern and Larvik. They are two cute towns that are right next to Sandefjord. We basically just walked around both towns and went to a cafe in each town. It was sunny all day, and at one of the cafes we were even able to sit outside and drink our coffee. It was a warm 5 degree Celcius :-). Stavern and Larvik are both really cute towns. They aren't very big, but they are charming. It was my first time to Stavern. But, I had been to Larvik before, but only to the police station, and only in rainy weather. Don't worry I hadn't done anything wrong, but when I first got here we had to drive to Larvik (3 times...) to go to the police station to get my residence permit.
Stavern

Cute cafe in Stavern
Stavern city.

We went on a pony ride...


Me.......doing who knows what.

Emma and Solveig

Me and Emma in Stavern

Emma and I jumping into the ocean (not)!

No comments:

Post a Comment