Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, March 11, 2013

A Correction from the Pancake Post

Yesterday I made and wrote about the pancakes I made and how difficult it was to find all of the ingredients. Well, when I got home from school today my host mom said "Rebecca, I have something to show you..." and she pulled baking soda out of the cupboard. She told me that she had read my blog post and that she thought it was rather funny that I believed that if you couldn't find it in Norway, it was in Sweden. In my defense, no Norwegians knew what it was. When I asked where to buy baking soda, they said that they had never heard of it before. I asked nearly my entire class at school and some friends outside of my class, and no one had heard of it. It turns out, they didn't know what I was talking about because Norwegians use the chemical name for it and not the American name of baking soda. Here it is called "natron", just in case any of you want to come to Norway and bake a cake, it does exist. 
My host mom went on to tell me how normal it is and how they sell it in every store. It was a small light blue bag, so it didn't look like, and wasn't called, the same thing as the American version. I wish I would have asked my host mom before I went to Sweden. Because before Sweden we were thinking, "oh no, I wish Norway had baking soda". Then we went to Sweden and found it and were excited beyond belief and didn't really think to ask anyone afterwards...

Just my luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment