Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

SA - UKA

SA-Uka is a week that AFS has all the exchange students find a job and work. It was January 14th to January 18th. It is a volunteer week where we are supposed to see into the working life of Norway. It is supposed to open our eyes to a different part of the country.

I worked at Ivar Halvosens A/S. It is a bakery, a store (kind of like a deli), and a cafe. I worked in the cafe section. Everyone there was extremely nice. Before I had my work week I was talking with some people that go there a lot and a girl that worked there and the first thing they said was that everyone there is extremely nice. I had also heard that Halvorsens had the best coffee in the city.

On my first day at work I met Bente, the boss, and she showed me around the bakery, the store, the locker room, and where the employees eat lunch.. After I put on my hat and apron she took me to the cafe. At the cafe I met who I would be working with for the week: Hilde, Anne-Grethe, Phan, and Therese.

Everyday I started work at 9:00 A.M., that was great, I was able to sleep a little bit longer than I normally would for school. Then we closed everyday at 4:00 P.M. and I left for home at 4:45 P.M. I did almost the same thing everyday because in the cafe we always made food, made coffee, washed dishes, and cleaned up inside the kitchen and also the tables in the eating space. I washed a lot of dishes and cleaned a lot of tables. But, the best part about working at a cafe is that there is really good food you get to eat everyday for lunch and there is also really good coffee and cakes. For lunch on Monday I had an omelet and the rest of the week I ate a different sandwich from the cafe. I had three coffees almost everyday and from Wednesday to Friday Phan made me a cafe latte (my favorite drink). What is funny, is that when I came to Norway I did not like coffee at all, and now I am having at least one cup of coffee everyday. Now, after SA-week I have learned about all the different types of coffee and how to make some of them. Also, Hilde told me that I had to taste a different cake everyday I worked there. That was probably the best part about working there, Halvorsens has very good cake. On Monday I tasted the cheese cake, Tuesday was a nut cake, Wednesday was a marzipan cake, Thursday I tried a raspberry tart. Then on Friday I was told i had to try two cakes because it was my last day, I tasted chocolate cake and carrot cake. I think my favorites were the carrot cake and the raspberry tart. I also made a lot of food. I made sandwiches with ham and cheese, with carbonada, with vegetables, with chicken and tomato, and also with shrimp and egg. I was also in charge of making the salad everyday two with chicken and tomatoes and two with shrimp and egg. I also talked with the other employees. They told me a little history about Halvorsens A/S. Wilhelm Hedvard Halvorsen started his bakery in Sandefjord in 1879. It was called Langgaden, but when his son took over in 1914, the name changed. Today the business is Vestfold's (the county I live in) oldest bakery and Sandefjord's fifth oldest business.

I liked to work there very much. The people there were very nice, or as it would be directly translated from Norwegian "the people there are very cozy". And everything went well. On my last day working there they asked if I wanted to come in and work the next week too. Also, the told me if I come back I can get a job there. Maybe I will do that......



The people I worked with

The cafe

Making a coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment