Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Survived My Second Week

Well I'm alive! Two weeks in and so far everything is okay.

I have had some interesting experiences in the last week. Last Saturday we went to my host dad's mother's birthday dinner. We had moose and reindeer with rice and vegetables. Moose and Reindeer! I tried it. The reindeer wasn't bad, but the moose was a type of meat that I had never tasted anything like before. When I was told I was eating reindeer I felt like I was eating Santa Claus. That is what I have always associated reindeer with, Christmas and Santa. But at the dinner I also met Idar's mother, sister and his sister's family.

Then on Sunday my host parents took me to Ula. Ula is a beach area that is really pretty, even in windy conditions. 

Welcome to Ula 
This is Ulabrand 
This is Ula Beach

Monday was back to school. It is only my second week at SVGS. As of yesterday I have been in Norway for exactly 2 weeks! It makes it hard to meet new people when you can't speak the language and can't join into conversations. And I still understand almost nothing my teachers say. English is obviously my favorite class because I actually know what is going on. And we finally have my schedule worked out...I think. We have been working on it trying to get in classes I should have and classes I need and classes I want and it still  may not be done. I went to the mall with some friends one day and I know who my local contact person is too. Things seemed to work out this week. 

On Tuesday, my host sister, her friend, and I went to roast marshmallows in the forest. That was really fun. We ate about half a bag of marshmallows...
My host sister, Synne 
Synne, me, and Caroline roasting marshmallows 
Synne and me 
Synne and Caroline eating marshmallows

Wednesday through Friday felt like they went by really fast. On Friday, I figured out that my American credit card does work here as long as you let the store clerks know that you are American. They all look confused for a second then figure out how it works. Also, I got my replacement suitcase because, in case you didn't know, on the flight over when I picked up my bag from the checked luggage it was cracked. My host dad was really nice and talked with the airline and got me a really good suitcase :).

On Saturday I got to go shopping! All I am buying is sweaters, scarves, and long pants. I packed shorts and tank tops thinking that it would be warm enough to wear them... I was wrong. I also went with Synne's cousin, Solveig, who I met at her grandmother's birthday dinner, to a friends house to make brownies and watch a movie.

Now it is Sunday, and you know it is the weekend when there is ciabatta bread, liverwurst, and anchovies on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment