Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Min Første Gang På Ski!

Two weeks ago I went skiing for the first time since I was five years old. And when I was five it was a 30 minute lesson, so I don't really count that as skiing. So, I went skiing for the first time two weeks ago!

Jenny, the exchange student we hosted last year, and her family took me to their cottage at Norefjell. It was so nice! They attempted to teach me how to ski. We did cross country skiing, not down hill. So it wasn't that easy. But I thought it was a successful trip, I'm not so sure what everyone else thought though. I learned how to go move without falling (for the most part), go uphill, go downhill, turn (a little bit), and stop (without falling). Before they taught me how to stop, I thought the only way was to fall down. My technique on falling was really good. My technique on falling was probably better than my technique of stopping properly. If you want to know how to fall you should first make sure the ground has some kind of fresh snow so it does not hurt extremely bad. Then all you do is kind of sit down, but off to the side so you hit the soft snow and not the hard snow that everyone else has been skiing in and made trails on. It works very well, usually. There are no guarantees with this method...

We were there for two days and we only did a little bit of skiing each day. But it was still really fun. I had a blast and I can't wait to try skiing again!

Me trying to go uphill (and Jenny helping me along)

Jenny and I when we reached (close to) the top.

Jenny and I sledding!

As you can tell I was very proud of myself after I didn't fall when I went down the hill.

This is not me after I fell! This is the first time I have ever made a snow angel!!!

What can I say? I am a California girl that just doesn't want to accept the cold weather...

Actually, in the cottage there was a sauna and I was told that it was a traditional Norwegian thing to do to roll in the snow then run back into the sauna...

All the girls on the second day of skiing :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment